Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A Fun Faith

If you know me at all, you know I love baseball. I am a die hard Texas Ranger fan and to be honest I may have lost a year or two from my normal lifespan watching the past two World Series'. I mean, why couldn't Nelson Cruz have been playing just a couple of steps deeper?!! Sorry, I got sidetracked.

I recently came across some interesting baseball trivia that I found fascinating. For instance...

*The odds of a fan being hit by a baseball are 300,000 to one. It's almost the same odds as catching a Josh Hamilton bat!

*The average baseball only lasts about a week. Each baseball is used only one time in a major league baseball game.

*Early rules allowed the hitter to request a high or low pitch.

*Manager Alvin Dark of the San Francisco Giants once told reporters that NASA would put a man on the moon before pitcher Gaylord Perry hit a home run. When Perry finally hit a home run, it was 20 minutes after Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin landed on the moon.

*Each baseball game has 12,386,344 possible plays.

I really find that last bit of information especially insightful. I hear critics of the game complain that it's too boring. But to understand that there are over 12 million different possible plays is incredible.

It's the same with life. There are so many different things that can happen in our lives. I can look back on some of my decisions and wonder what would have happened had I chosen another route. I certainly don't know what awaits me around the next corner, but I can't wait to see what the Lord has awaiting.

We are told in Acts 20:22,24 "I don't know what awaits me...But my life is worth nothing to me unless I use it for finishing the work assigned me by the Lord Jesus - the work of telling others the Good News about the wonderful grace of God."

In fact, none of us really know what lies ahead. We are instructed to have faith that, whatever is around the next bend, God has the situation fully in His hand. Life has its share of uncertainty, but know this, God sees things around that corner long before we get to it. Let's have faith to drive on.

No comments:

Post a Comment